I've had a few requests to repost this article (from a little while ago)! I hope some of you find it helpful! PAPER LANTERNS - DECORATING ON A BUDGET
Paper lanterns are the solution you have been searching for!
Wanting to change the look and feel of a room without blowing the budget? This is a challenge faced by us all at some point in our lives, but one we can now easily overcome! Here is the solution for the most simple and effective way to add some colour, texture and excitement to your living spaces – paper lanterns!
Starting at just $1.95 per lantern, this is an inexpensive, do-it-yourself solution that can completely transform the biggest or smallest of rooms in minutes. All you need is a step-ladder, some fishing line, thumbtacks or hooks, and of course, some lanterns.
As an Interior Decorator and Colour Consultant, I find the biggest obstacle most people come across is indecision and fear - not knowing where to begin or how to make the right colour choices, so I’ve put together a few helpful tips to get you started:
Are you wanting to create a particular mood or vibe in the space? Here’s a list of the most popular colours, and the ‘feelings’ they evoke. This is really helpful for choosing paint colours or general decorating too!
WHITE - hope, purity, cleanliness, peace
BLACK - sophistication, elegance, mystery, power
PINK - gentleness, friendly, kindness
RED - love, vitality, passion
ORANGE - cheerful, social, warmth, creativity
YELLOW - optimism, sunny, happiness
GREEN - refreshing, balances energy, relaxation
BLUE - serenity, peace, cool, relaxation
PURPLE - richness, royalty, elegance, spiritual
BROWN - earthy, nature
Do you already have a colour scheme in place? Or is your room a blank canvas?? – either way its all very easy! A colour wheel is a great tool to help guide you. It will give you the confidence to create colour harmony.
• Are you looking to add an accent colour to a very neutral room? Think of using a colour opposite on the colour wheel to your existing scheme. This will give you the strongest impact and a real ‘wow’ factor. For example, if you have yellow/creamy walls and flooring – choose purple lanterns, or if your scheme is currently very green, decorate with red lanterns. By selecting an ‘opposing’ colour, this will make your accent lanterns the feature of the space.
• Are you wanting a more subtle lantern decorating feature? If so, choose a colour which is already heavily featured in the room. For example, if you have a monochromatic scheme(consists of one colour in various shades and tints) choose lanterns in the same colour too. You may already have various blue shades, so adding sky blue, bright blue, sapphire blue or navy lanterns would be perfect!
• Be inspired by nature. Take a look around at all the colour and beauty of our natural surroundings. Mother nature is the greatest colour consultant of them all – she puts colours together beautifully: blues and yellows at the beach, greens and blues of the grass and sky, black and orange on a tiger, or even the 7 colours of a rainbow all together – perfect!
• Maybe you just want to add lots of colour. Then, there’s no rules – just pick all the colours you like and go for it! As you can see from the picture below, lots of different colours look great together, and we have over 30 to choose from in our range. Especially for childrens rooms or parties, the more colour the better!
Now that you’ve chosen the colours, here’s some some hanging suggestions to create different effects.
- hang smaller lanterns in clusters (uneven numbers work best)
- use a variety of sizes at different heights
- stick to one colour but mix up the shapes/sizes/textures
- combine prints with plains in same or opposing colours
- make a string of lanterns either horizontal or vertical
- keep it simple – a single large lantern in the centre of the room
images from here
Paper lanterns can also be a fantastic temporary make-over tool, great if you are renting or just wanting a particular ‘theme’ for a short period of time. For example, Christmas, or Chinese New Year. And, they are recyclable!! They fold flat when not in use for easy storage, so you can use them over and over again (unlike balloons)!
For more ideas visit the inspiration photo gallery
Our new Brisbane warehouse and showroom is now open to the public 6 days a week. The friendly staff will be able to assist you with your decorating, wedding or party needs! Or, browse our product range online - Lanternshop.com.au. Hope to see you in our showroom soon! Thanks, and happy decorating!! Karen Gaffney (Director - Lanternshop Group)
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Brisbane friends! Planning a wedding, engagement or function??? Come and see our stunning lanterns, parasols, pom poms, hand fans, paper decorations, lighting .... and more at the Expo. We are looking forward to assisting you with your decorations, and will be offering some great specials on the day! Visit our online store to see our full product range! We have decorations to suit any colour scheme for your wedding or party!
Posted by Lanternshop.com.au at 4:25 PM
Stunning paper lanterns available in 8 bright colours! Turquoise, Hot Pink, Purple, Lime, Chocolate, Yellow, Orange and Red! Beautiful irregular ribbed (with bamboo ribbing) paper lanterns for parties, wedding or home decor ... and they are on sale! Currently only $2.95 each (while stocks last)! Get in quick!! Mix up the colours (like in our picture) or use as a feature colour for your next function! These paper lanterns are practical and versatile, and fold flat after use, so you can store and use over and over again! Great value decorations! These fun lanterns can easily be illuminated with any of our lantern lighting options! Visit our Brisbane showroom to view in person, or shop 24/7 in our online store. Delivery only $9.95 Australia wide!
Saturday, May 11, 2013
Hello friends! Since we were featured in Cuisine magazine, our popular glass bottle lanterns have nearly sold out! Beautiful lanterns for garden parties, beach weddings or home decor. Brightly coloured hanging or table lanterns! The next container is on the way with new designs of metal and glass lanterns, and we are busy making space in the warehouse! Visit our Brisbane showroom, or our website Be quick ... at this special price these will sell out very quickly! Australian delivery charge still only $9.95!
Friday, May 10, 2013
Sneak peek! Mint pom poms are on the way in our next container!! (due end June 2013). As mint has been very popular in our paper lantern, parasol and honeycomb ball ranges, we have decided to add this colour in our pom pom range! Also on the way in the pom poms are silver and magenta! (photos coming soon). This means we will have 20 colours in our pom pom range! Watch our facebook and blog pages for pictures and details of all new stock due in the next few months! I've just returned from a HUGE buying trip in Asia, and have filled several containers with fabulous goodies for parties, weddings and home decoration! New stock will be arriving for pompomshop.com.au, poolpartyshop.com.au and lanternshop.com.au! In the meantime, we are offering some great specials to clear some space for the new stock! Visit our Brisbane warehouse, or shop online. Delivery only $9.95 anywhere in Australia.
Posted by Lanternshop.com.au at 9:00 PM
Thursday, May 9, 2013
Want to see our Lanternshop showroom and warehouse but can't get to Brisbane??? Click here to see our video! For your shopping convenience our Brisbane showroom is now open 6 days a week! (or 24/7 if you prefer to shop online)! Unit 1/12 Merritt Street Capalaba QLD 4157 Phone: 07 3390 3034 All our stock is on display for all three stores - Lanternshop.com.au, pompomshop.com.au and poolpartyshop.com.au We also now have a dedicated LED room for all of our lighting products! Brisbane friends - hope to see you in our new showroom soon where our friendly staff will give you professional advice!
Posted by Lanternshop.com.au at 9:21 PM
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Wanting to add a splash of colour to your wedding, and keep the harsh sun off you at the same time? Then parasols make the perfect wedding accessory! Images from QLD Brides Magazine. We have a range of really bright, fun colours in our extensive parasol range - dark pink, lime, orange, mango yellow, magenta, dark blue, red, purple, or if you prefer subtle shades there is mint, pale pink, light blue, aqua, light purple. And of course, traditional white, black and ivory! Parasols available in elegant lace, paper and nylon fabrics, and some with printed designs also! View our huge range in our Brisbane showroom (now open 6 days a week), or shop online! Delivery only $9.95 anywhere in Australia. Our parasols are perfect for garden or beach weddings, and look stunning in your wedding photographs!